The 2017 National Playwrights Conference is no longer accepting applications. Thanks to all who applied!
- Discover more about NPC
- Open Submission Process
- Peruse Frequently Asked Questions
- Explore 52 years of #NewPlays at the O'Neill
These will give you a better idea of how your application will be handled and what you can reasonably expect from the submission process.
The O'Neill will begin accepting applications for the 2018 conference in the fall of 2017. If you are interested in applying, please look over the materials on these pages and sign up to receive email updates about the National Playwrights Conference. As soon as we post our 2018 application, you will be the first to know.
PLEASE NOTE: The application materials below reflect the 2017 application process and are for reference purposes only.
Applications will be considered incomplete without a $35 Application Fee.
Mail your Submission:
All applications sent via mail MUST BE POSTMARKED BY OCTOBER 14, and applications will be considered incomplete without a $35 Application Fee.
Eugene O'Neill Theater Center
ATTN: National Playwrights Conference
305 Great Neck Road
Waterford, CT 06385
Why is there a Submission Fee?
- You must be 18 years of age and have the right to work within the United States.
- The play must not have had a professional production, or be scheduled to have a professional production, prior to August 2016. A professional production means that the artists working on the show were compensated for their time, and that all of the theatrical elements one hopes to see in a production were present.
- You may submit one original or adapted work, providing that the rights to any material not in the public domain have been granted in writing, and a copy of the release is sent along with the script.
- We develop all genres and styles of drama, including one-acts and solo pieces. NPC does not develop music theater works, though you may submit such work to the National Music Theater Conference.
- While we accept work that has been submitted to NPC in previous years, we recommend that you share new work with us each year.
- Only complete applications will be accepted, whether in hard copy or electronic form.
Thank you for your interest!
Please contact the literary office with any questions or concerns throughout the process. We devote much of our year to this process and are always happy to speak with playwrights.
**Reach us by phone at 860.443.5378 ext.227 & by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.