Submissions for the 2016 National Playwrights Conference will be accepted from September 16 through October 16 at 11:59 PST
If you are interested in applying, please look over the materials on these pages and sign up to receive email updates about the National Playwrights Conference. As soon as we post our 2016 application, you will be the first to know.
New to the O'Neill or National Playwrights Conference?
Please take the time to learn a little bit more about us. We also encourage you to learn about the Open Submission Process and peruse our Frequently Asked Questions page. These will give you a better idea of how your application will be handled and what you can reasonably expect from the process.
**NOTE: The application materials below reflect the 2015 application process and are for reference purposes only.
HOW TO APPLY:
**NOTE: THERE IS A $35 FEE TO APPLY
Download and review the Online Preplist [PDF or WORD] before beginning online application.
(1) download the application [PDF or WORD]
(2) submit application and materials, POSTMARKED BY OCTOBER 17.
- You must be 18 years of age and have the right to work within the United States.
- The play must not have had a professional production, or be scheduled to have a professional production, prior to August 2015. A professional production means that the artists working on the show were compensated for their time, and that all of the theatrical elements one hopes to see in a production were present.
- You may submit one original or adapted work, providing that the rights to any material not in the public domain have been granted in writing, and a copy of the release is sent along with the script.
- We develop all genres and styles of drama, including one-acts and solo pieces. NPC does not develop music theater works, though you may submit such work to the National Music Theater Conference.
- While we accept work that has been submitted to NPC in previous years, we recommend that you share new work with us each year.
- Only complete applications will be accepted, whether in hard copy or electronic form.
Thank you for your interest!
Please contact the literary office with any questions or concerns throughout the process. We devote much of our year to this process and are always happy to speak with playwrights.
**Reach us by phone at 860.443.5378 ext.227 & by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.